Sunday, November 20, 2011

Chapter 1.10 ~ Step Back, and Smell the Roses

Years flew by, like minutes after the twins were born.  They shot up in height, often teasing me on how I would need heels to match their height soon. They weren't wrong either, as soon enough both of then turned 17, and were as tall as me, or in Dusk's case, taller.


Seventeen. Seven Gosh Darn teen. They grew so fast. Everything about them morphed into a personality in front of my eyes, and before I knew it, POOF, I have to teenage kids on my hands.



Of course, as they grew, so did the chores, like laundry, cooking, and tidying. Alas, the house itself didn't grow, even as we needed it to. When the kids turned 14 neither one of them wanted to share a room anymore, even with their own twin, so I took matters into my own hands, and changed the storage room in the basement into Dusk's new bedroom. I must say, I'm quite pleased with it myself.



He didn't seem to think it was too bad either. I mean, it was rather spiffy. Was that the word that they used?      Spiffy? I'm not sure anymore, 45 isn't treating me to well on staying 'In with the kids'. Ah, its a new generation I suppose.




We also re-did Dawn's room. It was pretty, very much so, but I knew Dawn would have preferred less 'fashionista' and more 'artistic flare', but we decided together that more of the budget had to go to Dusk's room, as he had to sleep in the basement. She never once complained though, never once.


So, you may have picked up that Dawn is more of our artist. She's also the intellect in the family, but I'd seen that coming from day one. She reminded me so much of myself, in my younger days. The difference is that she  was a beautiful person inside, where as I'm sure that I've always been a little bit wrong.



Dawn would often be awoken earlier then need be, to help Dusk with homework too far overdue. He had difficulty learning, and focusing on a subject too long. He needed to be constantly moving, and doing things with his hands, rather then just being told what to do. Dawn was always ready to talk him through a question though, be it 11 at night, or 6 in the morning.



Dusk was our athlete, on the outside. He would be constantly joining teams, and clubs, to be outside, but I knew his secret. He would go to corner stores after classes, and buy fashion magazines. One day when he was at school, I crept into his room, and flipped through the pages of one, noting all the circles, and notes to a design. I could tell he wanted to style, and design on the inside, but he wasn't about to let anyone else know yet. Good thing I'm able to keep a secret.


Dusk spent all his spare time at the gym. He would often be able to persuade poor Dawn into heading down with him. She would almost always agree, and work out by his side.



Though she never did pick up his skill for the treadmill.



I still played piano, probably more so now then ever before. I had originally decided to leave it alone, after Damien left and all. Yea, I said his name. I've learnt to deal with the pain, and heal old scars. That happened when I heard he got hitched with some floozy from Simcinnati. It hurt, but I left it as it was. Everything had been my fault anyway.


His ring never left my finger. Although I'd given up my late night crying for his years ago, I still had that foolish flicker of hope that he may see sense and come back. As I said, foolish.

When I played down at the park for tips, the twins would often come with me. I'd originally forced them, when they were younger, and by now it became somewhat of a tradition in the family. Twice a week, every week.





Dusk would often call down one of his football friends to get in those extra few hours of practice for the big game.



Dawn would often sit and watch them, her eyes following the ball, or sometimes the football friend of Dusk's. She was a teenage girl after all, and it wasn't like she was Dusk, head of every team, with people lining up to date her, oh no. We'd spent many an evening huddled in her room, Kleenex and Chocolate on hand, talking over her social status. I could tell it hurt her, and my lectures on 'It won't matter in a few years, when you graduate' or 'They'll all work for you one day Hun' just didn't work.

Dusk didn't have a steady girlfriend either, though I knew he could have one on any given day he wanted. I think he held out for Dawn's sake. They really were that close, those two.


If I ever got spare time, I'd read. Read, and read, and read. Looking over anything and everything, to sooth my worn brain. It gave me time to reflect also, on how far I'd come in this world.

I always took time to reflect on my life.


Through the pain.


The love.



The heartbreak.



New life.



And new love.


All in all, I think I did okay.

2 comments:

  1. The kids seem to be doing well. She was strong and cared for them even though they were constant reminders of such a terrible event. I still think she should have told Damien.

    What heartbreak lies ahead for Dawn?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment <3 The kids are doing well, their personalities are so different, yet they won;t stop doing activities together, without my say-so.

    And actually, I'm working on the heir vote right now, so heartbreak could also be ahead for Dusk </3

    ReplyDelete